Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7200rpm 256MB Cache 3.5 Inch SATA NAS Hard Drive
• Laying the foundation for a worry-free data center, Western Digital delivers capacity to conquer the data explosion – Ultrastar DC HC520, previously known as Ultrastar He12 and part of our HC500 series of helium-filled hard drives. Designed to handle workloads up to 550TB per year, the Ultrastar DC HC520 is the industry’s first 12TB drive and uses traditional perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) technology to make it dropin ready for any enterprise-capacity application or environment. The stable internal environment created by fourth-generation HelioSeal technology enables a new 8-disk design, increasing the capacity by 20% when compared to the 7-disk design of the prior generation, Ultrastar DC HC510. This high capacity helium drive offers one of the lowest power profiles in the industry to help data center architects meet eco-environmental goals and requirements. Targeted at 2.5M hours MTBF, the Ultrastar DC HC520 provides the highest reliability rating available of all HDDs on the market today by building on the successful design of its 10TB, 8TB and 6TB predecessors. Trust Western Digital and the Ultrastar DC HC520 to deliver more capacity, more efficiency, more reliability and more value to your data center.
HelioSeal Technology Helps Solve Challenges Facing Next Generation Data Centers
• Data centers are facing growing pressures. Data volume is expanding, operating costs are rising, yet budgets remain flat. Lowering the total cost of ownership (TCO) has become the focus of data center architects and the Ultrastar DC HC520 provides the best value proposition and greatest storage efficiency available. Compared to 8TB Ultrastar air-filled drives, this HelioSeal hard drive provides 50% more capacity, uses 52% less power (Watts/TB), and is 25% more reliable, rated at 2.5M hours MTBF. Datacenter ready features like a second generation dual-stage actuator—the Western Digital Micro Actuator—enhance head-positioning accuracy to deliver better performance, data integrity and overall drive reliability, especially in multi-drive environments where operational vibration is present. Refer to our technical brief to learn more. A choice of 6Gb/s SATA and 12Gb/s SAS interface enables easy integration into high performance data centers.
Data Durability and Security with Industry-Leading Quality and Reliability
• As drive capacity grows beyond single-digit TBs, object storage systems with erasure coding provide better data durability compared to RAID systems, given its tolerance for simultaneous error conditions. The Ultrastar DC HC520 is a best-fit for object storage implementations with its massive capacity and unbeaten reliability rating. Compliance and privacy requirements drive the need for increased data security. The Ultrastar DC HC520 offers security and encryption options to help protect data from unauthorized use, including TCG SAS models.
Western Digital Quality and Service
• The Ultrastar DC HC520 extends Western Digital’s long-standing tradition of reliability leadership with a 2.5M-hour MTBF rating and a 5-year limited warranty. Ultrastar quality, capacity, power efficiency, and world-class technical support and service provides customers with a lower total cost of ownership over previous generations. Western Digital data center drives are backed by an array of technical support and services, which may include customer and integration assistance. Western Digital is dedicated to providing a complete portfolio of products and services to help create environments for data to thrive.
• Interface: SATA 6Gb/s
• Capacity: 12TB
• Sector size (bytes): 4Kn: 4096 512e: 512
• Data buffer: 256 MB
• Rotational speed: 7200 RPM
• Latency average (ms): 4.16
• Interface transfer rate (MB/s, max): 600
• Sustained transfer rate: Up to 243 MB/sec, typ., Up to 255 MB/sec, typ.
• Seek time: (read/write, ms, typical): 8.0
• Error rate (non-recoverable, bits read): 1 in 10^15
• Load/Unload cycles (40°C): 600,000
• MTBF (M hours): 2.5
• Annualised Failure Rate (AFR): 0.35%
• Availability (hrs/day x days/wk): 24x7
• Idle/Operating (Bels, typical): 2.0 / 3.6
• Requirement: +5V, +12V
• Operating (W, typical): 6.8
• Idle (W): 5.0
• z-height: 26.1 mm
• Dimensions (WxD): 101.6 (+/-0.25) x 147 mm
• Weight (max.): 660g
• Ambient temperature: 5° to 60°C
• Shock (half-sine wave, G, read operation): 70 (2 ms)
• Vibration (G RMS, 10 to 300 Hz): 0.67 (XYZ)
• Ambient temperature: -40° to 70°C
• Shock (half-sine wave, G): 300 (2ms)
• Random Vibration (G RMS, 10 to 300 Hz): 1.04 (XYZ)
We are operational & shipping orders throughout all COVID alert levels. Couriers will provide a contactless delivery service. Please note our dispatch and delivery time frames may extend during this period. For more information Click Here
We are a WD Select Silver Partner
Questions & Answers
Have a technical question about this product?
Customer Product Reviews
Purchased this item? Be the first to write a review.